(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Introverts, Unite!

I have been meaning to write about this piece for several weeks now, but hey a new video card and World in Conflict topped off with CivIV: Beyond the Sword can distract anybody.

Anyway, this is an old article from The Atlantic that became popular on Reddit and Digg a few weeks ago:
Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is "too serious," or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands...
Aw man this is so true.

Yeah, I need about two hours of alone time for every hour of social interaction.

No, I don't dislike you, I'm not shy, I'm not (that) arrogant, I just HATE small talk! Every time somebody at work says something like, "Hey it's shuur a nice day! Spoosed to rain tomorrow, though, LOL!!eleven1!! colon parenthesis" I cringe inside and usually just smirk, give a single upwards nod, and a grunt or maybe a "Yeah," and then wish them away. I am reminded of the movie "Groundhog Day" where Murry spouts off a technical response to the grandmotherly inn keeper trying to make small talk, and he ends with, "Now did you really want to talk about the weather, or just make chit-chat?"

I hate a ringing phone. To this day I refuse to own a cell phone; I can barley stand having a land-line in my house. This is why I think hookers are so cool-I don't care about their major, I don't want to know about their favorite uncle, or about the time she got drunk backstage with ICP. I don't want to know where they were grew up: A wad of cash on the night-stand will do just fine.

It's an excellent article, well worth your time.

-Tommy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home